Thursday, October 23, 2008

A.R.B

So I wake up this morning and notice an arb on my thigh. Although this made me laugh, I later realised that my laughing constitutes to my “don’t-care-attitude”. This is when it comes to my body and Alcohol-Related Bruises. In an attempt to make myself feel better, I thought about all the other times I have noticed arbs on my body. Or, more interestingly, how many times have you walked around campus and seen someone with arbs all over their body after a hectic weekend? The sad truth is that every Monday morning, I bare witness to the sad state Rhodes learner’s bodies are in. Gone are the days when I would post a blog that relates to surviving Rhodes life. I have come to understand that these people don’t want to survive. In fact, they engage in dangerous activities such as a night at The Rat & Parrot. And they occasionally find themselves in unsafe places such as EQ. So why provide a manual for future students who will probably fall into the same trap? There are “the crackling boys” (you know those boys in those school shorts, who wear vests no matter what the weather looks like) who join in Fraternities such as The Drinking Club. These boys get beaten up if they don’t finish a few bottles of alcohol to prove themselves as members. If that doesn’t ring any bells, these are the boys who walk around campus with an exam pad and one pen, walking OUT of each lecture hall and receiving LOA’s for being…themselves. How can I not mention “The union girls”, these are the girls who go to Rugby games not knowing who’s playing for what, and all they know about a try is when they’re TRYing to get into Friars for free. What never ceases to amaze me is that these girls have about R100 in their bags, yet they always go home with more than they came with. Of course, we have “the people from up the hill”, these people are the EQ-regulars, the ones who can turn anything into a club, and I mean anything…even the Kaif! Last but not least, we have the “Cantebury girls”, the land of milk and honey, the home of arbs, the makers of punch. If a Cantebury girl does not have a discount card for Prestons, chances are…she’s lying. So there we have it, ladies and gents! Who to blame when you have arbs? Why does it matter if you don’t remember?

1 comment:

angelica said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, this got me in stitches. But, as a hill dweller, I don't agree with what you said about turning 'anything' into a club. We just know how to party, can you blame us though...